Monday 28 March 2011

PORTFOLIO TASK 6. THEORY INTO PRACTICE




Looking at Garry Barker's blog I have decided to focus my attention on his post titled Conflict Resolution and Metaphor. This blog post discusses the use of typography in both a sense of conflict and resolving conflict. Type can be used in a number of ways but there is one specific use of type that has more power over you when interacting with it, and that is how typography is language written down, the way you speak it, its tone of voice and what it is you are trying to communicate.

Gary has pointed out how typography has been used to record part of a conversation with an IRA prisoner in one of the H blocks Her Majesty’s Prison Maze, it has been set out to to record individual rhetoric tropes, specifically metaphors. This has been done using software and therefore has been set out oddly, doesn't read clearly or with clarity, and as Gary pointed out, represent voice. Examples had been given of kinetic type videos, displaying how type can really represent a tone of voice or speak to you as the audience, this reminded me of my video I produced earlier this year for our Top Ten project, to create motion graphics in After Effects.

Here is an ident I made for the project, which was about Dubstep. 







I made this ident, using a quote I found about dubstep, I did not want to use a voice over but simply let the audience read the quote to the sound of the music to the video. I used the quote in order to give an impression or an idea to what dubstep is like, it is a metaphor. The aim of using this quote feeds directly to what gary has said "It achieves its effects via association, comparison or resemblance and the concept of understanding one thing in terms of another is very powerful."

This video is a lot shorter than another kinetic type sequence I have done but I feel it works well if not better as it is simple and to the point, I have chosen different typefaces for each word of the sentence which could seem to confuse the message, or add entropy to it but it has been done in order to communicate dubstep and not let one typeface define what the genre is. This was my example as to trying to use typography properly and clearly to communicate the correct tone of voice, what typography really is as opposed to system default settings of software which we see in the example of the conversation.





No comments:

Post a Comment